• Hard copy – 1 volume, coil-bound
• Digital copy – PDF file on CD
• Alphabet Wall Strip
• Large Phonics Wall Cards
• Small Phonics Cards
• Spelling & High Frequency Word Cards
• Classroom Posters (6): Keywords, Vowel Sounds, Letter
Clusters, Coding Symbols, High Frequency Words,
• Reproducible Student Workbook
- Hard copy – 2 volumes, coil-bound
- Digital copy – PDF file on CD
• Laminated Alphabet Handwriting Desk Strips
• Reproducible Phonics Cards (with QR codes that link to
pronunciations) to be used for individual practice or
cooperative learning activities
• Reproducible Spelling & High Frequency
Word Cards (with QR codes that link to pronunciations) to be
used for individual practice or cooperative learning activities
Watson Works Phonics & Spelling 1st Grade
reinforces the alphabetic awareness, letter
formation, and phonological and phonemic
awareness taught in Kindergarten, and builds on those skills so that by the end of 1st grade,
• Decode and blend sounds to read and spell words with the 6 syllable types:
closed, open, r-controlled, vowel team, vowel-consonant-silent e, and final
• Identify word structure, such as: blends,
digraphs, combinations, diphthongs,
base words, prefixes, suffixes, compound words, and contractions
• Improve manuscript letter formation and handwriting using the D’Nealian style
• Read and spell 100 high frequency words
Includes a hard copy (coil-bound) and digital PDF copy on CD; provides easy-to-follow instructions for each daily lesson and weekly assessment.
Reproducible workbook includes daily lessons, weekly homework, weekly assessments, phonics cards, and spelling & high frequency word cards.
Large Phonics Cards
Cards present keyword pictures and letters for phonemes introduced in each level.
High Frequency Word Cards
Flashcards to review spelling and high frequency/sight words for each level. Used for drilling words, individual practice, and cooperative learning activities.
Alphabet Wall Strip
Shows keyword pictures for Aa-Zz to hang in the classroom for easy reference.
Small Phonics Cards
Cards present keyword pictures and letters for phonemes introduced in each level. Used for drilling sounds, individual practice, and cooperative learning activities.
Classroom Posters (6)
Posters offer reference for keyword pictures, vowel sounds, high frequency words, and other concepts taught in each level.
Alphabet Handwriting Desk Strip
Laminated Aa-Zz desk strip contains upper- and lower-case letters in D’Nealian handwriting, keyword pictures, left/right hands, and space for students’ names (25 strips in pack).