3rd Grade Daily Language Review for August/September New ELA TEKS
With the implementation of the new ELA TEKS this year, having a daily spiral review in your toolbox that reviews all the TEKS for language, spelling, and writing is a MUST!! DAILY WRITING READY© is a standards-based program that follows a research-based model of continuous, systematic instruction, building from simple to complex to help students learn and retain skills. In this 3rd grade unit for August/September, students practice language & writing skills in 10-15 minute daily lessons. Skills taught in this unit include:
- Capitalization (proper nouns, holidays, months, days of the week, titles of people, geographical names & places, beginning of sentence)
- Ending punctuation
- Complete sentences (subject/predicate)
- Homophones (be/bee, to/two, wear/where)
- Parts of speech (common & proper nouns; singular/plural nouns; past, present, & future verbs)
- Diagramming sentences
How it Works:
Monday – Thursday, students will practice:
- 2 sentence-editing exercises
- 2-3 language/vocabulary exercises
- 1 sentence-diagramming exercise
- 1 exit ticket (a short, 1-2 minute formative assessment linked to the objective of that day’s lessons)
On Friday, students will complete a brief, 1-page formal assessment measuring their understanding of the skills taught during the week. An optional study guide is provided also to give to students on Monday before the test so that parents can work with their children at home throughout the week.
*This unit is part of our full-year DAILY WRITING READY© growing bundle (34 weeks of daily lessons & weekly assessments). The program is designed so that all ELA TEKS are covered during the first 20 weeks (August – February week 2) of instruction. In week 21 (February week 3), to begin preparing students for the 4th grade expectations, the daily lessons will evolve into short STAAR-formatted passages with 2 revising & editing multiple-choice questions each day on Monday-Thursday. The Friday assessments for weeks 21-34 will include a slightly longer STAAR-formatted passage with 10 revising & editing multiple-choice questions and an optional expository writing prompt. A 26-lined written composition paper is included, as well as a rubric for grading the essay.
**Though this DAILY WRITING READY© unit was made with our Texas teacher friends in mind, it is also aligned with 3rd grade CCSS, making it easily usable by any 3rd grade teacher teaching English/Language Arts/Writing all over the U.S.**
We hope you like this unit as much as we do, and we’d love to hear your feedback! :)
~Heather & Ashley
Watson Works, LLC
*Full preview of the product available by selecting the preview button above.
Follow us on TpT, Facebook, Instagram and/or Pinterest to be alerted when new DAILY WRITING READY© units are added. Any time we add a new product, we offer it for 50% off for the first 24 hours after it is uploaded. Click the “Follow Me” button above to receive email notifications from TpT so that you can save!
- 3.2.B.i, 3.11.D.iii, 3.2.B.ii, 3.2.B.iii, 3.11.D.ix, 3.11.D.xi, 3.11.D.iv, 2.11.D.ix, 3.2.B.vii, 3.11.D.ii, 3.11.D.iSee Fewer